A lot happens when you move home and it can feel a little overwhelming – especially if you are downsizing, moving far from when you currently stay or just have a lot of things! So where do you start and what do you tackle first? It’s easy to lose focus in the hustle and bustle of moving!
So instead of worrying about your move and stressing, here are a few key things to focus on:
1) Confirm the day you are moving and let family and friends know! (this may avoid any unexpected guests or hint to family members you may need some help!) If you are moving from a rented flat, remember to let your landlord know in advance.
2) Pack any ‘non-essential’ items- clothes you know you won’t wear, excess shoes, grandma’s china collection. Everything you don’t need now!
3) Check for any outstanding bills (and pay them!). They will only follow you to your next place. Check the meter readings too – make sure you don’t get overcharged!
4) Re-direct your post. This can be done in advance and set up to start at a particular date so no need to worry about your post being delivered to the previous tenants/homeowners!
5) Notify companies of your move and of the date (you don’t want your insurance cover stopping too soon for your old house!)
- Council tax
- TV License
- Water/electricity/gas companies
- TV/phone/internet companies
- Nursery/schools (if you have kids!)
6) Arrange for help to move – friends or a moving company!
7) If you have kids (or pets), make sure they are taken care of during the move, or kept occupied with toy and games to makes your move less stressful!
8) If you need it, arrange for some storage space (especially if you are downsizing and need time to re-arrange your new home!)
9) Pack a ‘new home’ survival box. Remember when you arrive (unless you have a super estate agent!) there will be nothing to eat, sleep in, no toilet roll and nothing to do (except unpack!) so put a few essentials in a box for your arrival to your new home!
10) If you are taking appliances (e.g your beautiful new washing machine!) make sure arrangements are in place to connect them up safely in your new home
With a good plan, a little organization and a good checklist, moving home shouldn’t be too stressful! And from us at Len’s Self Storage, congratulations on your new home!