The Christmas holidays are known as "the most wonderful time of the year", but they can be the most stressful and chaotic time of the year too. With parties, visiting relatives, and an endless to-do list, it's easy to feel overwhelmed when you want to prep your home for the holidays.
We decided to come up with some simple hacks that can help you get your home guest-ready for the approaching holiday hustle and bustle. Let's walk through some tips and tricks to make preparing your home for the holidays less daunting.
Cut the Clutter
Now is the time for a deep cleaning of each room and thorough decluttering of your closets, surfaces, and drawers. Make this a top-to-bottom purge of anything you don't need or want.
Get rid of the expired cans in the pantry, clear out old toys and clothes that are too small, shred unneeded documents, donate or trash unread magazines and books, and recycle anything you can.
Be ruthless. If you don't use or wear it, get rid of it. Limit memorabilia and sentimental items to one bin or box. Remind yourself: “If I haven't used this in the past year, I probably won't need it”. Making your home clutter-free will make cleaning easier and give you more storage room for holiday décor.
Pro Hack: Set a timer and challenge yourself to fill a bag with clutter to donate every 20 minutes. You'll be amazed at how quickly those bags fill up! Include others whose judgement you trust for speedy results.
Deep Clean Your Home
Now it's time to scrub every nook and cranny. Move furniture and get into the corners, dust ceiling fans, wipe down walls, sanitise light switches and doorknobs, clean windows and mirrors, scrub the bathroom and kitchen, and mop and vacuum floors.
Remember appliances too — clean out the fridge, oven, microwave, and dishwasher. Make your home sparkle and shine! This deep clean prep work will make the tidying you need to do when guests arrive much easier. Make sure you have enough boxes to store everything you need!
Pro Hack: Mix essential oils like lemon, eucalyptus, and peppermint with vinegar and water in a spray bottle. The fresh scent will motivate you as you clean!
Hacks for Holiday Cleaning
Turn the cleaning process into an organised effort. Assign tasks to family members or roommates, making it collaborative and efficient. You'll be amazed at how much can be accomplished when everyone pitches in.
Focus on Neglected Areas
Don't forget those areas that may have been neglected throughout the year. Dust the tops of cabinets, clean out rarely used closets, and give the forgotten corners a little TLC. It's the small details that can make a big difference.
Create a Decluttering Checklist
Decluttering is just as important as cleaning. Refer to a checklist to ensure you cover all areas. Consider what items can be stored away to make room for festive decorations and create a more spacious and inviting environment.
How To Prep the Guest Rooms
Whether you'll have overnight visitors or need extra seating space for gathering, check that your guest rooms are ready for company. Change the sheets, make the beds, declutter any surfaces, empty a dresser drawer or closet space for guests to unpack into, confirm the lighting is sufficient, and place fresh flowers or a bowl of holiday treats in the room to make it feel inviting.
Here are some ways to make your space more welcoming:
- Go Extra on the Entryway: Set the tone right from the entrance by creating an inviting foyer. Provide ample coat hooks, a sturdy doormat, and perhaps a seasonal wreath. This adds a festive touch and makes sure your guests feel welcome immediately.
- Keep the Kitchen Clean: If your holiday plans involve a lot of cooking, make your kitchen as efficient as possible. Clean countertops, organise utensils and create designated spaces for each cooking task.
- Prepare Proper Seats: Prepare for additional guests by having extra seating options available. Foldable chairs, floor cushions, or even repurposed outdoor furniture can provide comfortable and stylish alternatives when the dining table is at full capacity.
- Add Thoughtful Touches: For those hosting overnight guests, pay extra attention to their spaces. Provide essentials like extra blankets, towels, and toiletries. Add a touch of holiday décor to make their stay even more special.
Update Your Holiday Decorations
One of the best parts of prepping your home for the holidays is going all out on the levels of festivity! Pull out your Christmas trees, wreaths, lights, candles, and any other special holiday items. Check those string lights and replace any burnt-out bulbs. Fluff up your garlands, wreaths, and tinsel to refresh them.
Go out and purchase new ornaments or other décor to mix in. Theme your decorations to coordinate colours and style. Simple touches like a poinsettia on an entry table or pinecones in a bowl also add to the holiday spirit.
Pro Hack: Involve any kids around in making homemade decorations to boost their holiday excitement. Their creations will add an endearing personal touch.
Prepare Your Holiday Meals
Holiday gatherings usually revolve around food, so make sure your kitchen is ready to cook up a feast! Clean out your pantry and fridge and toss any expired items.
Organise your shelves and drawers so equipment is easily accessible. Make sure you have enough serving dishes, silverware, and glasses to accommodate your guests.
Make a list of any ingredients or supplies you'll need for recipes, and do a grocery run well in advance so you're not scrambling at the last minute. You might even want to prepare a holiday side dish or two ahead of time and freeze it to reheat on the big day.
Add Some Special Touches
Beyond décor, add special touches to make your home feel warm and full of holiday spirit:
- Play your favourite Christmas albums
- Run a Yule log video with crackling fire sounds on a loop
- Bake cookies to make your home smell like the holidays
- Set out holiday books for guests to page through, like coffee table books, children's stories, or nostalgic photo albums
- Arrange throw pillows and comfortable blankets in seating areas to provide comfort and invite lingering
- Light candles to create a soft glow
- Display photos from past holidays or of loved ones to spur reminiscing and connection this season
Doing these small things will make your home feel extra magical!
Prepping your home thoroughly for the holidays does take time and elbow grease, but it's worth it. Your guests will walk in and instantly feel your care, preparation, and holiday spirit. Plus, you'll be able to truly relax and enjoy the time with your loved ones when the work is done ahead of time.
...The holidays are about joy, not stress! Simplify your celebrations by decluttering and organising with the help of self storage. Whether it's stowing away seasonal decorations or creating room for guests, our self storage solutions are your holiday lifesaver. Embrace the festive spirit without the chaos — reserve your space today and unwrap the gift of a stress-free holiday season!
Contact a Len’s employee today to chat about how we can help you prep your home for the holidays!